Lockkeepers House Visitors Center
(Lock One Park) Corner of SR-66 & SR-274
New Bremen, OH 45869
Stop by the Lockkeepers House Visitors Center to learn about the history of this waterway. Built as a replica of the Lockkeepers House that stood on the site for nearly 100 years, the Visitors Center is a great place to begin your visit to the canal. The visitors center features displays, photos and other information about the canal, its construction and the impact it had on the development of western Ohio. It is located adjacent to Lock One Park in downtown New Bremen. It is handicap accessible with public restrooms and is open weekdays from 9 – 11 a.m. and 1 – 5 p.m.
Traversing 249 miles from Cincinnati to Toledo, Irish and German immigrants labored from 1825 to 1845 to complete the canal, which improved transportation and commerce for the western portion of the state. Much of the canal in this area is intact with many historic structures, bridges and aqueducts along the way. The towpath along SR-66 from Minster to Lock 14 north of St. Marys is a great place to walk and enjoy nature’s beauty. Designated a state Scenic Byway.