Built in 1894, his neoclassical structure of Berea sandstone features a central gallery open to the second floor making the stained glass skylight visible from both floors. “The Copper Lady,“ who once stood proudly atop the courthouse tower, now has a prominent place in the gallery. Restored for the Courthouse’s 100th birthday in 1994, “The Copper Lady” once again reigns over the buildings activities. Seventeen elementary schools in Auglaize county raised 453,589 pennies for her restoration. An eight million dollar renovation project was completed in 2012 to preserve the historic architecture and character of the building, while converting it to a 21st century facility.
Mercer County Courthouse
101 N Main St.
Celina, OH 45822
Forty foot Ionic columns grace the four entrances to the Greek Revival, gray Bedford limestone courthouse in the heart of Celina. Its impressive interior is enhanced with large bronze doors, marble floors, walls and staircases. One can climb the beautiful staircase and gaze from the third floor upon the rotunda below or cast one’s eyes upward to view the colored glass courthouse dome. Call 419-586-3178 for group tours.